For many individuals researching our Caribbean roots requires patience, dedication and clear focus at every stage of the research process. On many occasions enquirers begin the research with excitement and have found after a period of time become stuck on a name after exhausting resources available locally and on the internet. Another concern is that people often wonder if the records are accessible to them locally. In addition to the above, costs are involved.
On this site under the heading “Further Resources” refers to links that leads to individuals and groups with vast experience on how to research as well as how to researchers have overcome difficulties.
Costs can vary from free to hundreds of pounds.
Free resources includes:
- Familysearch: Birth records are available for free to limited countries on Familysearch website. At present only births are available for the Civil Registration period for some countries. In order to view marriage and death records will require a visit to your local Latter Day Saints Family History Centre. It may not hold all the records – in fact many have limited record available. If you live or work in or near London, visit the London Family History Centre. It holds one of the best collections in the world for Caribbean vital records for select countries.
Discussion forums such as:
- Candoo: lastnames database, covers the Caribbean that includes many topics
- Rootsweb: discussion forums, historical information for many countries
- Genoforum: by countries and lastnames
Other free resources includes:
- Madeline Mitchell`s website: plenty of historical facts
- Dorothy Kew`s webblog: personal family history, historical social content
- Tombstones: information on Barbados, and other Caribbean islands, detailed Monumental Inscriptions
Links for the above are located on this site under “Further Resources”.
Although every effort has been made to identify resources, the completeness, accuracy for this site, “Family History Jamaica” makes no representations or warranties of any kind, expressed or implied with respect to this site or the information. Inclusion of the links do not imply endorsement of the views expressed in them.
You may not without expressed written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.