Trelawny parish

Trelawny was formed from St James in 1770. According to William Beckford who wrote “A descriptive account of the island of Jamaica ” published in 1790. Trelawny is described as possessing 16,000 slaves, 69 sugar-estates, about 90 settlements of which the towns of Martha Brae and Falmouth each contain about 80 houses each. Below are a list of some settlers to the parish during the 18th century

Last names of families settled in the parish. Names obtained from entries in baptismal records before 1800

Barnett
Brissett
Brown
Campbell
Foord
Gaynor
Graves
Linton
Littlejohn
McDonald
Morris
Parris
Reid
Scarlett
Stewart
Tharpe
Thompson
Turnbull
Virgo
Wedderburn
Woulfe
 
 
 
 
 
Copyright Sharon Tomlin 2007