Kingston was founded in 1693. William Beckford (1790) describes the size as extending one mile from North to South and equally from East to West of which contained 3000 houses, population of about 14,000 slaves, 8000 whites and 1500 free people of colour.
Kingston was designated as county town of the island. Held were the assizes court sessions in January, April, July and October. The parish contained no sugar plantations and 20 settlements of grass pens (Beckford, 1790).
Last names of families settled in the parish. Names obtained from entries in baptismal records before 1800
Copyright Sharon Tomlin 2007